Publication Prize in the Poetry 2016 International Poetry Competition from Atlanta Review for, “Lightning Bugs.”
Finalist for Poetry in the 2016 USA Best Book Awards, A Lake of Light and Clouds
Finalist, Ron Rash Award (Broad River Review): “Pixie Cut”
Joy Harjo Poetry Prize for “After the Explosion,” 2014, Cutthroat
INTERNATIONAL 2012 NAUTILUS AWARD WINNER: In the Palms of Angels
In the Palms of Angels (2011, Press 53), by Terri Kirby Erickson, has won a 2012 Nautilus Silver Award for poetry. This prestigious international award is given for a book of poetry that “engenders compassion, wisdom, greater understanding, empathy, or passion through the artful use of language.”
2012 NEXT GENERATION INDIE BOOK GOLD MEDAL WINNER: In the Palms of Angels
In the Palms of Angels has been named the GOLD MEDAL WINNER in the poetry category of the 2012 NEXT GENERATION INDIE BOOK AWARDS!
ONE OF FOUR FINALISTS FOR POETRY IN THE 2013 INTERNATIONAL BOOK AWARDS: In the Palms of Angels
My essay on poetry and healing on journalist and author Maria Shriver’s wonderful website:
Additional Awards and Honors:
**I am honored to have been chosen as the 2013 Leidig Keynote Poet for Emory & Henry College in Virginia. Former Leidig Poets include Ted Kooser, Mark Doty, Kelly Cherry, Fred Chappell, and many others.
**One of the poems from In the Palms of Angels was chosen by former U.S. Poet Laureate Ted Kooser, who also happens to be my favorite poet–to be included in his wonderful American Life in Poetry column, sponsored by the Poetry Foundation, the week of January 14, 2013. He chose another poem from A Lake of Light and Clouds, for a column to be published in 2015.
**”Ice Cream Truck,” excerpt from A Lake of Light and Clouds, chosen by Garrison Keillor to feature in The Writer’s Almanac, July, 2014.
• Poetry Out Loud National Recitation Contest, State Competition Emcee for three years, Judge in State Competition one year
• In the Palms of Angels (Press 53, 2011), winner of a Nautilus Silver Award for Poetry, Gold Medal for Poetry in the Next Generation Indie Book Awards, Finalist for Poetry, International Book Awards
• Telling Tales of Dusk (Press 53, 2009), #23 on the Poetry Foundation Contemporary Best Seller List, 2010
• Poem, “Angels of Death,” (excerpt from A Lake of Light and Clouds, Press 53, 2014) chosen by Theodore Wiprud, composer and Vice President of Education for the New York Philharmonic, to set to music for soprano, 2014 http://www.theodorewiprud.com/news/angels-death-identical-twins/
• Chosen as one of 40 authors to read at the 2014 Bookmarks Festival of Books
• Poem, “Queen Anne’s Lace,” chosen for Poetry In Plain Sight and In Plain Sight Bus Project, 2014
• Garrison Keillor’s Writer’s Almanac, July 25, 2014, “Ice Cream Truck,” excerpt from A Lake of Light and Clouds
• Former U.S. Poet Laureate Ted Kooser chose two poems from several collections to feature in his American Life in Poetry column in 2013 and 2015.
• Finalist, 2014 Randall Jarrell Poetry Competition, “Tahara”
• Second Place, “Bloom,” for the 2014 North Carolina Poetry Society “Poetry of Courage” Award
• Winner, Poetry for Their Freedom Award, 2013, “Orchid”
• Chosen as the 2013 Leidig Keynote Poet for Emory & Henry College in Virginia (Former Leidig Poets include Ted Kooser, Mark Doty, Kelly Cherry, Fred Chappell, and many others).
• Finalist, 2013 Randall Jarrell Poetry Competition, “Dust”
• Grand Prize Winner in the 2013 Carolina Woman Writing Contest for “Kenmore”
• Finalist, 2012 Rita Dove Award for Poetry, “How to Sing the Blues”
• 2012, “At the Bowling Alley,” one of twenty poems chosen (from 2,000 submissions world-wide) to be included in the 2013 Poet’s Market
• Second Place, 2012 Time of Singing Poetry Awards, “Blackbird,”
• Editor’s Choice Award, 2012 Time of Singing Poetry Awards, “Bluebird”
• Honorable Mention, 2012, “Searching for Scallop Shells,” Carolina Woman Contest for Poetry and Short Stories
• Honorable Mention, Your Daily Poem International Mayan Apocalypse Poetry Contest for “The End of Time,” 2012
• Winner, Nazim Hikmet Poetry Prize, April, 2011, for three poems
• Honorable Mention, 2011 Randall Jarrell Poetry Competition, “At the Bowling Alley”
• First Place, Love Category, North Carolina Poetry Society, for “Frank and Alice: A Love Story,” 2011
• First Place, Love Category, The Writers’ Ink Guild Fields of Earth Poetry Contest for “Wedding Days,” 2010
• First Place, Carteret Writers 19th Annual Writing Contest for “Shrimp Boat Captain,” 2010
• Second Place, Poetry Council of North Carolina’s James Larkin Pearson Contest for Free Verse for “Topsail Island,” 2010
• Third Place, North Carolina Poetry Society’s Mary Ruffin Poole American Heritage Award, “At the Drive-In,” 2010
• Syndicated columnist Sharon Randall lauds Telling Tales of Dusk (Press 53, 2009), as one of four “Best Reads” in her national column, 2010
• Second Place, Poetry Council of North Carolina’s Ellen Johnston-Hale Contest for Light Verse, “Bobbing for Apples,” 2009
• Honorable Mention, North Carolina Poetry Society’s Caldwell Nixon Jr. Contest, “Madison’s Picture,” 2009
• Honorable Mention, North Carolina Poetry Society’s Lyman Haiku Contest, 2009
• The Northwest Cultural Council International Juried Art & Poetry Exhibit, “Devotion,” 2007
• The Northwest Cultural Council International Juried Art & Poetry Exhibit, “My Father,” 2006
• Nominated three times for the Pushcart Prize
• Nominated for Best of the Net Award, “Oak Tree”
Written articles have appeared in Land Rover Monthly, PainPathways, Forsyth Woman, Boomer Cafe, Fifty is the New Forty, Flourish Over Fifty, Healthy Moms, The Winston-Salem Journal and others.
2006, Instructor, Poetry, Courses for the Community, Salem College, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
2006 – 2010, Poetry Workshops for Teens, sponsored by the Forsyth County Public Library
2009 – 2012, Visiting lecturer, Creative Writing/Poetry, R.J. Reynolds High School, Winston-Salem, NC
2009 – Visiting lecturer, Brevard College, Brevard, NC
2011 – Faculty, “Marketing Yourself and Your Work,” at the “Gathering of Poets,” sponsored by Press 53 and Jacar Press
2011 – Visiting Instructor/Workshop Facilitator, Poetry, Mitchell College, Statesville, North Carolina
2012 – Visiting lecturer, Kennedy Middle School, sponsored by Bookmarks Festival of Books
2013 – Visiting lecturer and speaker, Emory & Henry College, Virginia
2013 – Visiting lecturer and speaker, Lebanon Valley College, Pennsylvania
2013, 2014 – Multiple poetry workshops, Open Doors Arts Ministries, Winston-Salem
2014 – Poetry workshop, Lewisville Branch Library
2014 – Poetry Greensboro, workshop, Greensboro Central Library
Readings/Speaking Engagements: Quail Ridge Books (Raleigh), McIntyre’s Books (Chapel Hill), Flyleaf Books (Chapel Hill), Barnhill’s Books (Winston-Salem), Readings on Rosalyn (Winston-Salem), Bookmarks International Festival of Books (Winston-Salem), Pomegranate Books (Wilmington), Community Arts Cafe (Winston-Salem), Malaprop’s (Asheville), North Carolina Baptist Medical Center (gift shop and volunteer luncheon), West End Poetry Festival (Carrboro), Delta Kappa Gamma International Society of Women Educator’s Banquet (Winston-Salem), Stokes County Arts Council, Mocksville Woman’s Club with Sharon Randall, Brevard College (Brevard), Emory & Henry College (Virginia), Open Mike (Raleigh), Woman’s Club of Winston-Salem (Centenary Methodist Church), North Carolina Writer’s Conference, Weymouth Center (Southern Pines), Winston-Salem Forsyth County Public Library (multiple branches), Wine and Words Fest (various venues), Gallery of the Arts (Winston-Salem), WFDD (NPR), WTQR, WUNC (NPR), WHQR, WSJS, Living Poetry Podcast, Peculiar People (Greensboro), Book Club (Columbus, OH), Nazim Hikmet Poetry Festival (Raleigh), Triad Stage (Greensboro), Homestead Hills (Winston-Salem), Mozart’s Bakery (Columbus, OH), River Walk Gallery and Arts Center (Washington), Greensboro Grub, Monday Night Poetry (Charleston, SC), Lebanon Valley College Visiting Writers program (Lebanon Valley, PA), Salem College Center for Women Writers (Winston-Salem) and others, including book launch parties.
Professional Organizations: North Carolina Poetry Society, North Carolina Writers’ Network, North Carolina Writer’s Conference, Delta Kappa Gamma International Society of Women Educators